Old Point Comfort Lighthouse and Lighthouse Keepers Residence. 12/28/2013
Old Point Comfort Lighthouse and lighthouse keepers house at Fort Monroe National Monument / Old Point Comfort. This view is from the top of the old fort which stands around 40 feet tall. The water in the background to the left is the moth of the James River, to the right is the lower Chesapeake Bay. Located at the mouth of the James river where it meets the Chesapeake Bay, this lighthouse was first built in 1802 and has been in use since, though it is now automated, and has been since 1973. It is the second oldest lighthouse on the Chesapeake Bay, and was captured by the British and used as an observation post in the War of 1812. Old Point Comfort has been in use as a military installation of some kinds and varying names since 1609. Many more photos of this trip to follow.